Friday, March 9, 2012

Is it true that the waiters/waitresses in restaurants only get to eat leftovers?

...of the food served to the people? This is quite common in rural India - but someone told me the same happens in American restaurants also. Is that true?Is it true that the waiters/waitresses in restaurants only get to eat leftovers?
My best friend was a waitress for many years (she and her husband own their own restaurant now). All the places she worked had different policies. Most gave them a meal, some had one just for staff, no choice, others let them choose. I think only one place didn't give food.



But as for eating Ieftovers, I will never forget a story she told me, and this was in a VERY elegant %26amp; exclusive private restaurant/club. She said she and most of the other staff would eat shrimp that went back if the part of the plate it was on didn't look touched. I remember this all these years later as it skeeved me out then, and still does lolol. She said something like "oh everyone does it" matter of factly and laughed at me. And yes it was against policy and like heath codes. So this may not be totally uncommon here in the US!
ok, on this question we have to use alittle common sense, who would work at a place were all you got fed was people's scraps, on top of that its 100% against the food and health regulation, and there would be billions of worker complaints to the better business breau.Is it true that the waiters/waitresses in restaurants only get to eat leftovers?
no, they eat off your plate before they serve it to you. so if you find a bite ar two out of your food that means it is really good.
It's againt health regulations here in the U.S.



I worked in restaurants for 18 yrs and never heard of anything like that.
This is not true at all, maybe in other places in the world, but certainly not in the U.S.A. Some restaurants limit their employees to what they can order from the menu, but they don't eat leftovers. Some employees are limited to a choice from a sub-prime menu as opposed to the menu that paying customers choose from. The sub-prime menu lists food of lesser quality than the customer menu, and the recipes aren't as complex.



However the policy may be different for room service waiters. When I was a room service waiter at a luxury hotel I got to eat whatever I wanted, cause I worked the graveyard shift, and the morning shift chef would fix me the most delicious breakfasts when he arrived in the morning, cause he liked me. Of course this didn't make the rest of the morning employees happy that weren't room service waiters like me, cause they were limited to crappy sub-prime menu food. I got the supreme menu food, yeeaahh! This luxury hotel had gourmet food, and I got to eat whatever I wanted from the menu...I'm surprised I didn't gain 100 lbs. while working there, cause it was damn good.



In answer to the second part of your question. Eating a customer's leftovers is against health regulations in the United States, but that doesn't mean waiters don't sneak a bite here and there, especially since one can tell many items that a customer orders aren't even touched, they're just discarded. It's a shame. I certainly snuck in a piece of cheesecake here and there that hadn't been touched, or unopened soda, untouched gourmet fruit salad, Pierrer, etc.
It is shuned apon here for people to eat scraps of food off of a plate that is comming back from a table. Most of the time wait staff are given a free meal or a dicount. At my work we make a staff meal buffet style, if you don't like it bring your own luch is what I say, but no one listens, oh and when there is a mistake it is offered to the wait staff.
Any restaurant I have worked has had some kind of policy by which employees were allowed a meal or a certain dollar amount of food. Granted, it wasn't the best the place offered its patrons, but usually one could at least get out of there having filled her belly without eating the scraps off a stranger's plate.



Though, a lot of servers take home meat scraps to their dogs.
not where i come from most places around here u get 1 free meal or a discount
No. They get meals, but not left overs.
It really depends on where you work.
I know somebody whos a waitress and shes allowed a free meal of her choice, not leftovers
No i don't think its true that this happens in America.I'm not a waitresses but if i was i wouldn't eat peoples leftovers
No. Where did you hear this? It sounds like someone wants to make a fool America.
Untrue.
no not leftover but they can eat on their breaks
No way!! That is not only unsanitary, but its bad business. Employees in the food industry are required to get a real meal. If you know of a place that only lets their employees eat leftovers, you need to turn them into your local health inspector.
Some restraunts have rules. Waitor/waitresses are not allowed to eat the food in their restraurant(such as buffets) unless they paid for it. If your really poor and can olny supply your familiy with 2 and a half meals a day along with the factor that your manager is really generous then the waiters/waitresses can take leftovers home at the end of the day. My aunt worked in a restraunt and was allowed to take the foods that was leftover.

No comments:

Post a Comment