Tuesday, February 14, 2012

What has to be done to encourage restaurants to start serving more vegetarian meals?

Sure it's true that more and more restaurants are beginning to notice that a large amount of the population is becoming more health conscious, but don't you think it should be mandatory that every restaurant offer at least one protein rich vegetarian meal? Just wondered what your views were on this subject.What has to be done to encourage restaurants to start serving more vegetarian meals?
I don't think it should be mandatory for all restaurants to offer at least one protein rich vegetarian meal. That said, I don't eat at restaurants that serve meat.. I eat at restaurants that serve only vegetarian and vegan food.
Yah, as much as I'd love if that was a law, I don't agree that it should be. Business is business and businesses should be allowed to cater to the majority of their customers. The best way to have restaurants serve more vegetarian foods is by having more vegetarians. We can help with that by sharing the benefits and positive reasons to be veggie with others when it's possible. But you know, it's growing, I've seen huge changes in many places of the world in the last ten years. I'm hoping to see the day when airlines offer a vegetarian meal as one of there main choices as opposed to ordering it special beforehand. They have it on Indian airlines, I would love to see it elsewhere. I would specifically choose an airline for that reason, wouldn't you? :-)What has to be done to encourage restaurants to start serving more vegetarian meals?
Yes, I totally agree that there should be more options. Mandatory? No. Still, I get annoyed when restaurants think that they are providing a veggie option and it isn't, like sour cream riddled with gelatin and cheese made with animal rennet. Plus, I feel that vegans should have more options than just garden salad.



I know that a lot of people think we shouldn't complain because there are enough exclusively vegetarian restaurants out there. Yes there are, but it would be nice to have the freedom of going into any restaurant and being able to get a meat free meal.
Eat more often at restaurants that serve the vegetarian meals you want, and let the restaurants that DON'T serve what you want know why you aren't eating there.

No, it should NOT be mandatory that every restaurant offer any specific food item, even if it is a protein rich vegetarian meal. Why should it be?

Let the supply respond to the demand, the way that the market is supposed to work.
Supply and Demand





More Vegetarians and Vegans = More Veg friendly restaurants







But it shouldn't be mandatory. Because then they would have to have more special meals. A small restaurant would turn into a special, Mega buffet.









But do I think they should offer Veg friendly options if there is a demand for them where the restaurant is? Yes
not really but you could ask them.many of the pizza carry-out/delivery restaurants does have at least 2 vegetarian-friendly items.ask them for a take home menu.you could also look into the following information.



for information on restaurants that serve vegetarian items as well as information on health food stores



go to happy cow at http://www.happycow.net



and vegetarian-restaurants at http://www.vegetarian-restaurants.net
Oh, nonono, it can't be mandatory:

those who resent it will laugh when their staff abuses the food before serving it to us . . .

Be your nice, happy self, like me, get the owner/manager, and say, "I like this place, I'd love to eat a vegetarian meal here, think that could happen?" :-)

Be their local vegetarian customer who asks for more because it's good there...

Let's use our smarts, not our demanding, alienating skills!
by the vegetarians who want the food to start opening their own restaurants, most places offer some sort of vegetarian food, but there just isnt enough call for it to dedicate their menu to it, and they shouldnt be expected to. if someone wants to live an alternate lifestyle they need to make provisions for it.
Why should any restaurant owner be forced to change their menu for a vegetarian? Totally ridiculous. Restaurant owners are private and are allowed to put whatever they want on their menu as long as it is deemed fit for consumption. The rest of us shouldn't be forced into a so-called healthy lifestyle of others.
The standard "veggie" pizza, or "Veggie sushi", "veggie kebab" is so old, I hate those stupid restaurants.

What, only ONE option?

THa'ts not an option far as I'm concerned.

Restaurants would change thier tune pretty quick if every single person asked for half the dishes to be vegetarian.

Meat is just plain old meat, with veg, you get 100X more variety.



I don't care about the health concious or environmental side of it as mch, although these are important too. For me, it's just taste and not wanting gross greasy meat inside me.

Demand half the menu be meat free.
I think it should be. Or the restaurants should at least have SOME sort of alternative. I hate it when I go to a restaurant and they have absolutely nothing that I can eat.

I doubt it will ever become like a formal law or anything. More and more places are offering veggie options.
Mandatory...heck no.

A restaurant must be free to serve the food its customers demand. And nearly all have some vegetarian fare to offer on the main menu.

This is like demanding all vegan/vegetarian restaurants have a meat option. Silly huh?
I don't think it should be legally required. The more demand for vegetarian meals the more restaurants will accommodate vegetarians and vegans.
I fill out those little cards at restaurants when I feel they could use more vegetarian options.
Simple requests, politeness sometimes works. If not we move up tp boycotts and then there are always firebombs
I don't think that would be right. You can't tell restaurants what to serve.
I guess when I when I start seeing a porterhouse special at Chez Kashi. Vegetarianism is not healthy, I went vegetarian for 3 years and was enjoying it-believe it or not. My muscle tone became non-existent and I became malnourished. My primary doctor thought I had an eating disorder. He told me to stop the "diet" yes that is what he called it. He said men need protein, period.

No comments:

Post a Comment