Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Why do you get more food at cheap restaurants vs expensive?

How come I can go to a hole in the wall restaurant and get a plate of food almost overflowing off the plate, yet if i go to a expensive restaurant, i walk out not totally full. I don't get it. Until they start serving more, i will support my cheap local family restaurants with the heaping portions. Anyone know why?Why do you get more food at cheap restaurants vs expensive?
As a former chef, a upscale place has more overhead, food/labour cost and it is considered to be in better taste to limit the size of portions, and I am with you when it comes to some places of less quality, I live in Toronto On Canada, and eat in the ethnic places here, and you do in some instances get larger portion for the same reason you get smaller one in the high end restaurants, with less ones it is there labour cost, the type of food, a taco or burger is alot less to make and serve than a piece of prime rib or a steak, time cooking it and the ingredients, plus a quick serve meal can be cooked and served to you in 5-10 minute of preparation, with a high end meal there is alot more involved.
Actually, I would prefer better quality to quantity. I see more and more fast food places giving better deals to get people in the door, but I can't eat all the food they serve. Jack has a burger, 2 tacos, fries and a drink for $3. I can barely eat the tacos.



I would rather go to a steak joint and get a steak, smaller in portion with a baked tater with a sit down atmostphere than a take out meal any day.Why do you get more food at cheap restaurants vs expensive?
Quantity vs. Quality

Do you want to eat or do you want to dine?
Poor people are fat

No comments:

Post a Comment