Tuesday, February 14, 2012

What are your personal customs of tipping in restaurants?

I usually tip the customary 15% at semi-gourmet restaurants like Applebee's, Chili's, Red Lobster and Longhorn Steakhouse and 10% for pick up.



However, do you tip for pick-up orders at Chinese restaurants or Pizza Hut? How about at Starbucks, Dunkin Donuts, or Sonic?What are your personal customs of tipping in restaurants?
I am a waitress- here's my deal

I tip 20% unless the service is REALLY BAD. I mean the service, not the food.

I refuse to tip at Starbucks. They make above minimum wage AND get benefits. (I pay $250 a month out of my pocket for insurance)

I don't tip for chinese or Pizza hut- unless it is delivered. then I overtip (again)

BUT If I get a carry out from a restaurant that has dine in- I tip. How do people think that order gets put together? The chef? No, its me! And that order takes my time away from tipping customers. Trust me- every restaurant is not set up for carry outs, its a pain.
I actually usually step my percentage up there a bit because those waitresses are still making below minimum wage and living on tips. Also the check is usually smaller so your tip would be smaller. A BIG factor in my tipping is quality of service regardless of where I am . I have tipped $10 on a $34 bill and $2 on a $65 bill based on service alone.What are your personal customs of tipping in restaurants?
I tip depending on the service to be perfectly honest. I work as a massage therapist and am tipped for the quality of my massage. Why tip someone at all if they gave sloppy service or messed up orders or were rude; oppositely, if they were outstanding and went out of their way to be of service, 15% isnt' enough and I tip more.
No, unless you are a regular Starbucks customer and you always order the same thing, the barister sees you coming through the door and they have the beverage ready as you approach the counter. That's worth a dollar.
It's 10% in Europe, but if there is already a service charge we don't tip anything. The service charge is supposed to be the tip, though like all tips, many staff don't get to see them. That applies to the States as well as Europe.
  • the pillars of the earth
  • benihana
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment